The purpose of this article is to show you how to uninstall HCX from your environment.
The graceful uninstall of HCX appliances is always initiated from the source side. The process requires HCX to be fully functional, including site pairings and communication between source and destination sites.
When uninstalling HCX, the procedure can vary depending on your environment and the features used. Do not delete the HCX fleet appliances directly from the vSphere inventory; always use the HCX management portal to interact with service VM’s. OVH is responsible for uninstalling HCX on the cloud side.
The process for removing HCX has the following general workflow:
- Stop all migrations and disaster recovery protections.
- Unstretch the network, which removes Network Extension appliances.
- Delete the Service Mesh, which removes the Interconnect and WAN Optimization appliances.
- Site disconnection.
- Remove the HCX Manager.
- Remove the HCX plug-in from the vCenter Server.
To access the HCX Cloud landing page, use this format
https://hcx.pcc-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.ovh.us but substitute the URL for your Private Cloud.
Step 1 - Stop all migrations and disaster recovery protections
To remove the replications:
- Navigate to
- Find the protected VM and click the more options
Once confirmed the replication will be removed.
Proceed to remove other protected VMs, using the force remove option.
NOTE: If the VM is recovered, the replication will break and the protected VM will be auto-removed.
Please follow the steps below to delete the migrations. If network stretch is not configured, please move on to unstretch the network, which removes Network Extension appliances.
- Check the scheduled migration tasks and cancel any migrations that might occur during the uninstallation task.
- Check for any running migrations in the Web Client and if there are any tasks currently going on then wait until they are complete.
- In the HCX dashboard, select
Migration. The Migration Management interface displays a summary of migration information.
- Identify the virtual machine on which to cancel migration and expand the entry.
- In the Status column, select
This operation can take several minutes. When finished, the UI displays the message "Migration cancelled".
Please refer to this VMware guide for canceling Migrations.
Step 2 - Unstretch the network
Unstretching a Layer 2 network is necessary before removing the associated L2C appliance. If network stretch is not configured, please move on to Step 3 - Delete the Service Mesh.
- Log in to vCenter Web Client and click on
- Navigate to
Services, then the
Extended Networkstab, and
- Select the network you want to remove, click the
Xbutton, and confirm by clicking
Delete the L2C virtual appliance
To delete the L2C appliance:
- Go to
- Select the
Network Extension Servicetab,
- Select the appliance and click
Yesto confirm the deletion of the appliance.
Step 3 - Delete the Service Mesh
In the HCX system containing the Service Mesh configuration, complete the following to delete all Service Mesh instances:
- In the HCX user interface, select the
- Click the
- Select on
- Click the CGW appliance,
- In the top-right corner, open the more options
Delete Service Mesh.
Verify that the CGW gateway/Service Mesh is deleted.
Step 4 - Site disconnection
To disconnect all HCX site pairings, complete the following steps:
- From the HCX dashboard, navigate to
- For each site pair, click
Step 5 - Remove the HCX Manager
To remove the HCX Manager, complete the following steps:
- At the source site, navigate to the
vCenter Hosts and Clusterstab,
- Expand the cluster where the HCX Manager is deployed and locate the virtual machine,
- Right-click on the HCX entry and
power offthe selection, and
- Right-click on the HCX entry and select
Delete from Disk.
NOTE: Once HCX manager is deleted, update OVH Support to remove HCX cloud manager.
Step 6 - Remove the HCX plug-in from the vCenter Server
Unregister the HCX Plug-in from the vCenter Server using the VMware instructions on how to remove or deactivate unwanted plug-ins.
Having followed the steps above, HCX should be uninstalled from your environment. However, you can also refer to the VMware documentation for uninstalling HCX.